Well I'm starting to write this blog not knowing what I want to write about. I m writing yet, because of this irresistable urge to write. So as of now I don't know what I want to write about.
thinking.. thinking .. er.. hmm.. Oh today I was going through this rough notebook of mine. It's my rough notebook from 7th std. I had these scribblings on various subjects- math, science ,english, tamil, hindi , interspersed with these favourite quotes from everywhere ranging from Reader's Digest to unheard of -tamil movie-song -lyrics.
It was not exactly a walk down memory lane because I did not remember most of those things. It was more of soul searching. I had wanted to alway stand out in a crowd, do something unique, things like that.It was like finding out who I really was, who I really wanted to become before external factors started influencing me. By external factors , I mean factors like competition, knowing that there are thousands of others who want to be the exact same thing, knowing that college is not like what they show in movies. Well for one- we do not carry just one notebook and a tiffin box. We carry piles and piles of xeroxes and notes and notebooks and a stinky lab coat that has never met a washing machine before, and of course tiffin box. In grad school its even worse- It's like you are back in school. The huge bag and a lunch box - only difference- this time its a lot heavier (because of the laptop) and so are you. Its like a reverse evoultion cycle- the famous crouched man to erect man chart- its just the opposite. you are born erect and you end up all stoopy in the end. Funny- I am listening to 'khoon' chala now on youtube. ( Sorry I couldnt resist the mokkai)
Oops I digressed. like I warned- this is a very off -the -top- of- my- head- post. Anyways, like I was saying, as long as you are unaware of the external factors like money, salary, pressure, luck, - reality to be precise, you are blissfully ignorant as a kid. We ve all wanted to do exotic stuff like become a pilot or a space scientist or a film star or an interior decorator/psychologist/architect in my case. Did any of us grow up saying we wanted to become a system analyst or a microbiologist or a professor? I hope not. But I am sure some of you geeks did. As you grow up, the fog clears and you stand there face to face with reality.
Reality:" Space scientist? ha aha ha"
Kid:" Ok ok, I wont. Can I become a doctor?"
Reality:" Doctor? ha aha ha. Space scientist may be easier".
Kid: " Ok.. what other choice do I have?"
Reality: " Choice? ha ha ha".
Kid grows up, studies hard and joins an engineering college (surprise!!) just like thousands of other kids,works hard to become a software engineer in Infosys ( surprise), just like thousands of other kids,works hard to come to America with dollar dreams, just like few more thousands of other kids , works his ass off , also falls in love with similar girl kid who works for Microsoft, and just about when they are about to get married, some bank on Wall street screws up and the kid goes back to India for good, the girl kid's parents suddenly reject the guy kid because obviously he s not good for their princess any more and both of them return to the place where it all started. Again, just like thousands of other kids.
Phew! One heck of a depressing story. Anyways the point I am trying to make is - well not much of a point but a scary observation is that when we are kids we all strive to be unique. But slowly, as we grow up, we give up and at some point our desire to be unique fades out slowly and we start wanting to 'fit in'.Fitting in in college, grad school, u.s, work place, social circle, in-laws.. we want to fit in these random groups of people whom we mostly do not care about. The fear of being the odd man out sets in. Sad..isnt it?
This is why I get terribly pissed reading success stories and listen to victory speeches. Because there are so many winners and winner speeches, that it looks like its such a common easy thing to win. It looks easy to get to the stage when you ve succeeded and you get to talk about it. Its almost liek writing an SOP.You connect the dots in such a way that it looks like you were born to do the final task. Thats why it looks like achievers always seek something and they manage to 'go after ' something and get it. But the actual truth is that probably they too are just fleeing from one thing to another.
And unfortunately life is in the reverse order. To get to that pinnacle is tough and all success stories and victory speeches have only managed to under describe this arduous journey.
I m probably on the shadow side of things and I m refusing to move to where there is light. May be it takes just one step to go from shadow to light. But like one of my quotes in my 7th std rough notebook said, " Reality is just a very persistent illusion.- Einstein".Hope that helps. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Wow! That is an extremely interesting post. You have posed a very profound question. In today's world, everyone is measured against some standard. Human mind can't understand anything without comparing it with something else. One is always scrutinized and rated. So in the process, most of us end up doing something very similar to what someone else is doing.
And what you said about having dreams as kid and then one fine day you grow up to a rude shock called reality which is so vastly different from what you had imagined, is so true!!
And talking about quotes on reality, here is one which I like lot by Morpheus from the movie The Matrix.
“What is real. How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain." - A very profound statement which I like a lot.
Divzz baby !
orey philosophicalaa irukku.... thanimai seiyum kodumaiyaa ? ...
cud have avoided the "guy kid, girl kid" terminology and just called it guy/girl.
liked the last quote..
7th std laye Einstein quote laam padichiyaa ? ..... like 5th std la Metallica kaeta maari yaa :D ... jus kidding :)
"I m probably on the shadow side of things and I m refusing to move to where there is light."
Yeah UP la street lights illa.. VG is well lit, so come over and its only a few steps away quite literally.. :P
Life is full of obscurities and uncertainties, analyzing them only makes it more convoluted.... so in the words of Rahul " bledy ...take it i say .... " :)
But a good post considering it was an off-the-top-of-ur-head-post.
Keep writing :)
thanks sri. I did think of you when i wrote it :). u know wher? i think you must ve been one of those kids who wanted to become a math prof . illa? :)
besides, thanks fr the comment :)see even I can be profound and philosophical like you :)
denz.. I expected a better comment from you. Until that comes, I wont reply. :)poda
"naangu kannadi chuvar galukku kulley naanum mezhugu vathiyum" post aah??
yes we are all anonymous. living the exact same template, aspiring to the exact same ideal. maybe we crave the structure, maybe we are conditioned to crave that structure, or maybe we just do it to seek approval.
i like it!
i liked the description of when "dream meets reality". more on my thoughts later.
cheers,
k
WOAH!! i cud relate to it a LOT.. awesome! that was a nice read!!
Hey ...a very good post. The deviation of from your initial goal is so much that you may go a full cycle of change and get back to ur own "initial" goal. We were born naked and as we grow there is a tendency to wear minimal dress :)(though its not our goal.) .... But considering the outwardness of divya, I expect something more from you. Don't say " off the top of my head" " urge to write" .... adhelaaam...take some time off ur shower to think abt wat u write.. take some time off ur work to pen ur thoughts...or mabbe key ur thoughts... Great goin...continue posting...
hey div. happy to know that you thought of me when you were writing about geeky kids wanting to be a prof. But i have never dreamed of being a prof in my childhood days. For that matter, I did not want to be anything! Thats been the story of my life. I am happy with my usual vetti self... ;-)
I agree,,,the purpose of education is lost as the attempt to get a job...the real purpose is to think better and more refined, so you can be a better citizen and a better voter...we are so lost in our means to make a major success story out of ourselves that we forget what the element of relativity in the matter is...success is relative not because it can be compared to others' but because its when you think you are content and happy with it...and we never are...i hope to see a scene of a school class in india where a person walks in and asks the children what they find most interesting and fun rather than what they want to grow up to be and how they intend to achieve it...
@ bala: yes ur comment s kinda along the same lines as my post. Thanks :)
Think this is some of your best writing.. Someone said she couldn't write off the top of the head... Looks like you proved her wrong...
poignant post! I remember the times when I wanted to be a doctor and you wanted to be my nurse! LOL.. I also remember your architect dream and your teacher dream :). I always thought the former was just because you liked the way architect sounded...and teacher - well was that because athai is a teacher and you adored her?
There are few people who knew what they want to do in life very early on and work towards it..985 of the world just does what they CAN as opposed to what they really WANT to do.That said, you can always make peace and be happy. After all being happy is the key. I have recently revamped my whole philosophy in life..Nothing in life matters more than your own happiness.so make peace with life and try to be happy..remember Randy Pausch's lecture? if there are things that will really amke you happy- find a way to do it.. nothing else matters in life..if there are things that are beyond your control, live with it ( like the freaking economy!)!
meant 95% of the world in the above comment..
"off -the -top- of- my- head- post."
i think you mean of-the-top-of-my-head :)?
@john: Thank u johnnyboy :)
@ramya: nurse aah? i don remember that.. anyway happiness.. be happy..do wat makes u happy.. ellam keka nala dhan iruku. wish life were as simple..
half ur life goes away in knowin wat makes u happy
Post a Comment