Well well well. If you guys are wondering what took me so long to write home coming part 2- well I ve been busy and the real reason is that I was waiting for the second India going season- Dec- Jan. If you are that big a fan of my blog, u ll remember the first part was during summer.
Once the pampering , feeling on top of the world , limelight and the first week's excitement fades, the second week is the transition week. It s a luke warm week. Now these experiences may not be universal.. but you can kinda relate to it.Everyone wud ve had different versions of the same experience.You ll know what i mean.
You feel people are giving you a little more space. You get to go meet not so important friends who you didnt meet the first week. People start doing things other than just asking you about life in the U.S. . You feel weird but nice being vetti at home. Parents start going for work and you ll be left at home all by yourself not knowing what to do. So you end up gtalking till parents come back from work. Afternoons will be spent relishing the joy of dozing off watching Ktv movies and Sun tv serials and the paridhaabamana Raj tv, because the jetlag really hits only after 4 or 5 days. Once you get up at an odd 7 pm and have nice coffee in ever silver tumbler, you watch tv. You feel nice watching news and how they make even stupid things so sensational. But these are the precious times you missed here. The bliss of being vetti at home.
Then comes the third week . Now is when you get really bored . Bored enough to miss this hellhole.Its almost like Stockholm syndrome. This place actually grows on you!You are slightly looking forward to go back. This is the week where most of your meals are eaten outside home , with random uncles and aunties ( "family friends"- btw what does the word mean? are all the members in the familes friends with each other?) .You get sick of eating a full meal every meal. Pakkathu veetu aunties uncles invite u home and ask u for grad school advice fr their children. Im especially sorry for all u guys who went to India now- you would ve had the added trouble of people asking about the economy. One of my friends got continuously asked "Inime anga enna irku, vandhuda vendiyadhudhane" lol. lemme not digress.
And towards the end of the week people start asking you when you are leaving . Parents start asking what all you need to buy.Podis will be made. (Notice you would ve come with ipods - u ll leave with podi s . :) )random people will start asking you if you have space in your suitcase to take stuff for their sons/daughters/relatives/friends in "the U.S". They do not realise the country is freaking hugggggggge . But you still do it cos you don wanna say no.
The final week is when you are busy as hell. Shopping, packing, scheduling lunch times, dinenr times to say bye to people. I hate the airport. Its gloomy and depressing. When you disappear behind the security check walls, you take a look at your family and friends for the last time- the sad, gloomy faces in the depressing airport- you know that s the image thats going to linger on your mind until you coem back the next time. Its a disturbing image.
Its true you miss US but you also know you are going to miss India no matter which one you call as home. The grass is always greener on the other side.
You many notice that this post is nto as emphatic and fun to read as the Homecoming part I. I think thats because its been 6 months since I came back from India and I m missin the place already. I wrote this post because I had promised to do soand it was incomplete. I m definitely not in the mood to not miss home. Ooops! I called India as home this time! It is. Isnt it? I think , at this stage, my definition of home is - the place I miss. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
I haven't gone back to India after coming here, to exactly relate to what you say. But I agree with you on the last line, the place we miss is home. :-)
I think there is one more ritual that you forgot to mention - something I've seen from my cousins coming back to India in the past. As soon as we arrive home from the airport, the baggages have to be opened and everyone should sit around the suitcases and see what all you have bought.. Young kids, with eager eyes, waiting to get their share of gifts and chocolates.. Older kids like me, waiting patiently for my cousin to call me aside and give me my parcel under cover. ;-)
Nice post btw.
i did mention tht ritual in my homecoming part 1 if i remembr
well. this post though subtle seems more relatable than the previous one cause of teh last few lines.. no matter what... the place u miss is home... Strangely i dont think i will miss US, maybe the freedom but definitely not US. I loved the line.. the most depressing and sad image i swhat lingers.. despite all that u see when u get back home the only thing that u carry back and that which stays on top of ur mind is the final family picture captured at the airport..
i'm sorry.. my mistake.. you have mentioned it... :-)
nice post.... and as u mentioned it shows that its been long time since u came back to the US. I-pod and podi...soooooooooooooper tuch... infact idha dhan i-pod touch nu kooda solalaam...Very descriptive..The weekdays u spend alone at home gtalkin... I totally can relate to it... The "place we miss is home" sooper finish .... Keep your posts coming at a better rate...
@swagath:ipod podi - unnoda comment a edhirpaathhu dhan potten -ennai kai vidala . thank u :).
@ ash: well yea remember tht converstn we had abt y ppl r so calculative here? apo idha pathhi naaama alasinomey.. nee india porapo, i think u wont miss atlanta. heck u don even cal that place as home!u may miss orlando/texas/ohio/clemson :)
@sri: naangellam thorough a cover panniduvom la...
amen...
Comments-
1)i-pod...podi...classy...
2)economy...great point...semma torture...they ask u questions like u are the financial secretary to Barack Obama...
Certain other things-
i am reading this post 12 hrs after returning from my second india trip... or I would say first trip as a non-student... quite surprisingly its different from when you go the first time... talks with family, friends and relatives are more linked to...hmm....
i) When are u taking ur parents to the US?
ii) Where will you find your girl? Desi or a blonde...although they all know that u dont have the talent for the latter...
iii) Will u come back ? Lets bet on it... You say u ll come back in 3 years for the first time this topic comes up...then at least i made it 4-6...then i made it 5-8 years...
iv) gtalk strategy- Now you are an experienced US return... u know ur life in the US is 24 x 7 is in front of this damn screen...so u tend not to sit in front of it there... besides u dont feel like and u dont have the TIME for it...u would rather be with family or friends doing vetti things...
v) Again, number of people calling u and visiting u on last day does happen... u tend to get irritated with it... but then u do notice lesser number of ppl madchifying ur "US escape" than the first time... so its good in a way!...
the last moment shopping and all also does happen...but it feels mundane and u just feel later that u have become experienced in handling this situation too...so no tensions...u notice lesser tension on ur parents faces too...because their "beta/ beti now tends to manage all this very easily"... so their BP levels are normal :)
vi) You tend to catch up with lesser number of friends... u dont madichify some ppl which is good in a way because that time saved is spent with ur family which suddenly feels so so important...
All said and done, u really feel happy that u met and bonded with ppl who matter a lot...who care a lot about u...as u cut down on so many random socializing meetings...
u do visit places like bessy , and other chennai hang out spots where u used to spend so much time and say to urself..."nothing like this anywhere in the world"... but then u need the same friends with u...without them u wont feel the same about these frequent hang out spots...
and finally u leave thinking how do i get pleasures of both - things u like about ur US life and things u like about ur India life! ??
oh no... instead of commenting I have almost written a blog of my own... but u better save this... should be interesting to compare experiences when u go to India next time...
Keep blogging divs...
Nachi.
@nach: :) i knw wat u mean. moreover it makkes more sense whn u say it cos u r jus back and the student/working person questions difference is very interesting. gud point
Loved 2 lines the most
"Its almost like Stockholm syndrome"
and the podi-ipod sentence :)
Good going!! This post feels more like you :)
I feel most depressed during the late afternoon/early evening time frame at home-- you know when you just wake up from that afternoon nap and daddy and ma have gone out.. it is so damn dark outside and the TV isnt on yet.appa than I start toreally count down the number of days left :(.
I am dreading as well as looking forward to my trip this summer.. first time a a married couple.. will be an interesting experience.. no matter wat..
All said and done- i still consider India( esp our MVM nagar house) as my home.. I dont know when I will outgrow that feeling- may be I don't want to?!
@daisy(lol..neeyum un pen name um .thu) :
yea, the evening 5 30 ish darkness is exactly what i meant. but since tht snot a universal experience, i didnt really go tht deep. even now MVM nagar hoem is what coems in my dreams . not the new one.
well going home as a couple.. lol. thts gonna be hilarious
:).. you should come with us to India to experience the hilariousness first hand :)
Post a Comment