Our cooler is not working and I am sweating like a pig. Reminds me of how dependent we have become on the cooler, here in the U.S, especially without pedestal fans. I have been running up and down trying to fix it, dreading how I am going to spend the night. I open the window, door, no change. Out of curiosity I login to the weather channel to see what the temperature is . It's 21 degreee celcius and thats the hottest it is going to get tonight. Out of curiosity again, I check the temperature in chennai /madurai . It s a whopping 37 degree celcius. I remember that heat. Madras used to be worse than Madurai. Madurai was scorching/burning hot whereas Madras used to be this sweaty sticky hot.
When we were kids and summer came I remember the whole new routine. Fruits were different- mangoes, watermelons, ice apples (nongu) would appear out of nowhere. Food was different - there ll be less frying and more kootu types. Best part was the dessert- rosemilk, milkshakes, lassi s , fresh juices, and elaneer ( thanks priyanka for the reminder).yummmm.
Our habits, sleeping styles would change.The whole family had an intra-house migration pattern. Everyone would compete for the cooler parts of the home. So we had to earn our cool spots. We did have AC . But that was only for our parents' room. It seemed mean then, but hey I am paying my electricitiy bills now, so it doesnt seem that mean now. Anyway, when summer came, it usually brought along exams. Annual exams. Studying was hard enough, leave alone studying in that hot room of ours( mine and my sister's). Most of these memories I am talking about, are after my sister left for college(hostel). So my regular study area was mottai maadi after sunset. I had my own cot and a chair in the terrace. We also had a kind of Mullai poo climber growing all over the beams in the sitout. The smell used to be brilliant. It was like a 100 scented candles around you. Around five thirty in the evening, my maid (& thozhi) Selvi and I used to go upstairs. She d bring a bucket and a mug. There was a tap upstairs. My job was to sprinkle water throughout the terrace and her job was to pluck the flowers ( poo parikradhuku vera better english yaarukavdhu therinja pls let me know. am not happy with picking/plucking ). It was amazing how the hot concrete would suck up the water so quickly, I d be sprinkling water over and over again and be amused at how it would disappear. I d then sprinkle extra water over the roof of my room not knowing it wouldnt help much.
Then Selvi would sit right next to my wire cot and threading the flowers she had picked, keeping me company I thought then. But only later did I realize that she was actually sitting there to make sure I studied and didnt fall asleep.
And then after a couple of hours of studying/arattaying with Selvi/ star gazing, I d go down for dinner and come back upstairs, collect all my books and go down to continue studying in my room which would have cooled down by then. This was a ritual every year.The first year it was just me, cos all other kids in the neighbourhood were too small to be studying alone or even studying!. But the subsequent years,
at around sunset, all kids in the neighbourhood, even accompanied by parents started assembling in their respective terraces. I felt proud/annoyed that people were copying me. We then started having these mottaimadi - mottaimaadi conversations about exams and when they were getting over.
After a few years, our room also got an a.c, but the ritual continued because we were conserving electricity - so only our parents would have their AC on. So sometimes I d end up sleeping in their room cos the only other choice I had was- to end up getting baked in my room.
Scorching heat, insatiable thirst, sweaty nights, sweatier days, endless summer - its all the same now, the difference is- we had fun then. To be continued..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
nice...frank..blunt..very visual..touchy in a way...=_)
The content was pretty awesome.. nostalgia stirring... lacks ur writing style though.. this was more matter of fact, less sarcastic. I guess u remembered it all visually and wrote. cud see that effect.. The mottaimadi water sprinkling especially over ur room brings back so many memories.. That was brilliant.. :) I guess everybody reading this in our gen gets that feeling of having been there done that.. :) Keep it coming...add ur witty style to it..
1.Although, technically its not summer yet, we can still feel the heat.
2. Back then, summer meant- mangoes, play and no studies, holidays, vacation. Now here, summer means - thesis/research, internships, job search...arrgh...
3. I dint know nongu is called ice apple- interesting..
4. Selvi was also appointed to ensure you don't kadala potufy the whole time. :)
Simple and nostalgic.. good one.. :)
eskoos me...
1) How come Madurai!!! ???? FYI... DINDIGUL is the spelling...
2) How about defloring? or defloration...for plucking flowers...
3)other than it is very personal...cant generalize...chlidhood ley summer meant playing , out in the sun , eating melons bla bla...
but even now if u were working in india...you would not have had the same fun... its just that our student childhood summers were too good... and those days may not just come again... so good sharing of memories...
if u want u can say... soltango! :)
@ sharat: thanx rat :)blunt? interestin..
@ ashwin : well thts exactly what i felt after writing this post. no sarcasm no wit. I think thats because I was genuinely pissed at my AC not working. vittathha vedikai paathu ukkandrukapo edhu wit.;)like i said this post is just an opening for that nostalgia post we were talking about
@ denz: 1. thats because your AC s working. 2.yup.. swagath has elaborated on this comment of yours. but he has posted it in the wrong place. I ve asked him to cut paste here.wait for it. 3. yup we learnt this word in school. 4.appo cell phone kadayadhu. yedhu kadalai mottaimaadi la thaniya??
@ nach: haiyo haiyo.. nachi. eppdi unnala matum mudiyudhu. ur comments look like my teacher s comments on my answer sheet. 1. weather.com has weather only for big cities in india, what to do. may be sholapur would be there,u could try. 2.defloration! amazing.edho tharaiya perthu edukra madhri iruku. 3.of course you cant relate to it. not everyone had similar childhood experiences and not all my blogs can be related to . :)4.well.. u can read my next post to understand that.
btw, anything good at all, about the post???
Very good post. Brings back so many memories and those are as fragrant as the flowers of the creeper. Yeah summer used to be nongu,mangoes,fresh juice ,vacation,playing cards,travel ipo it is nongu edukaranga advisors,we look like manga madayas in front of them,nammala dhan juice puzhiyudhu work,wat used to be a vacation has become a time to practice vocation,(playing cards ku corresponding a edhuvum thonala)..and travel is called reloaction in employment terms. That water sprinkling, is pictorial and representative..namma dhan andha maadi parents sprinkled water on us. Very cool post(about summer though) makes a perfect navigation in nostalgia
@ swag: unakum ashwin kum matum dhan swag ennoda kadupu puriyudhu. cudnt have put it better.
@ swag : appo we were playing with cards, ipo cards are playing with us : ead card,i 94card, green card :)
Vivid memories.. Ahh summers.. especially down south.. How could u have left out elani??!!(Jus like the weird translation of "poo parikarthu" in inglees, i can never bring myself to say "coconut water" instead of elani..:)
in trichy the summer was so hot that when me and my friends came home to drink lemon juice we would look like roasted coffee beans spilled all over....
loved the heat....n then loved to stand beside the pedestal fan blocking everyone else turning in circles to feel the chill when u dry out ur drenched teeshirt after a game of galli cricket....
awesome work divya :).... brings back fond memories of days when life was so simple..... we had our ways with dealing with the heat....
the part that really touched me was the food :)
what will i not pay to get an ice apple.... :)
no updates?
Post a Comment